Friday, July 23, 2010

Paan Kasay Wadhavay


When I first looked at the picture of the Paan/Kelichay Paan or the Banana Leaf, I thought of our Ganpati celebrations in Goa and Mumbai. We bought large size leaves from the market for the 2 days of festivities. Infact, we had to reserve the good Paan in advance. For the lunch and dinner, we prepared almost everything as shown on the picture here, except the Puranpoli and Basundi. Instead we made Idli and Khatkhatay ( a Goan mix vegetable curry similar to Avial). All the things cooked were to be served on the leaf and I do remember my mother instructing all of us on placing the food at the proper side of it. Though I forgot most of it, I know that sweet is to be served last. I do follow that and keep Shrikhand last on the buffet table on Ganpati Day. This picture will be a sure guide for serving in correct style be it a leaf or a plate. Infact, we all must do one potluck "Waadhapi Project" involving everybody including the kids ., and try to make/buy most of the things and see what happens when we try to serve :)
Posted by Radha Chetan Raj at 5/20/2009 04:50:00 PM Labels: Culture

No comments:

Post a Comment